Links Kicking Broadswords: Lessons Learned

Kicking Broadswords

Rants from two Pro-gun, pro-Constitution, anti-liberal, anti-government spouses who also discuss Lutheran doctrine and probably a lot about survival and guns from the other spouse- my husband. If you hate commies, the blue states, and love the Constitution, read this blog.

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Lessons Learned

First, I learned that it is brutally cold out there - -12F. :( Brr brrrrr brrrr

And second, if I had any affection for the M16 before, it's gone now. All weekend, from Friday afternoon till Saturday night, they simply would not work. We used CLP, LAW and LSA, and nothing made them work. The bolts wouldn't go back, they'd lock back, they'd go forward partway. I carried a SAW all weekend and it never, ever malfunctioned despite the bitter cold, rough use and lack of care. The poor riflemen were cleaning and lubing at every chance, and the darn 16s still wouldnt work. I would far rather hump miles and run across a field at high ready with a SAW that works than any M16 clone that doesn't.

If there are any fans of the finicky M16, and I'm sure their are, just note that in my 13 years, they have given me and everyone I know nothing but trouble. There is a reason I jump on the SAW or M14 given the slightest chance.

M16s are nothing but garbage. And I hate them more now than ever.

4 Comments:

Blogger jml1911a1 said...

Hey smle4,

Aren't SAW's available now for "civilians" (I hate that word...) now? I thought I saw them somewhere for sale, but can't remember for sure now. How do they compare to a FN/FAL, in your opinion?

January 17, 2005 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger smle41 said...

Sir,
I don't think the SAW (or M249) is legal for us proles, as it is full auto. Even if they make a semi version, it is belt fed, so..

In my opinion, The FAL is indeed the world's greatest battle rifle out there. Although, to nitpick, I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it.

I like the SAW because I can lay fire from my shoulder, full auto, as I run across a field, and I can go from 'house to house' without really worrying about changing magazines - that 250 round belt is great for that. That belt lasts a good, long time. It is light and doesn't recoil, and isn't too loud inside a tight stairway.

If I were wandering around by myself, or, I were engaged in longer-distance fighting, or, I wanted a stronger likelyhood of 'one shot stopping', the FAL would be better.

Does that muddy the waters any? :)

January 17, 2005 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger jml1911a1 said...

Nope, clears it right up.

I didn't know that about the SAW (belt fed), but it sounds like a big 'ol pile of fun. :0)

January 18, 2005 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger jml1911a1 said...

I just realized you called me "sir" again. (I'm assuming "WB" is you... http://www.haloscan.com/comments/jml1911a1/110558277312062051/)

"Your highness" is fine. Or "jml1911a1". Or "PoopieHead". Anything but "Sir". I'm not old enough yet... ;0)

January 19, 2005 at 2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home